Ocean Choice International (Ocean Choice) is one of Atlantic Canada’s most diversified seafood companies, sustainability producing and marketing a full range of shellfish, groundfish and pelagic species. All of this would not happen without our people working right here at home. At Ocean Choice we’re all about families, connected to each other and our communities.
We are currently accepting applications for dynamic, high performing team leaders with proven track records in effectively managing deck crew for the Second Mate positions on our new state-of-the-art groundfish vessel, Calvert.
The ideal candidate should have the following qualifications:
- Fishing Master’s Class 4 or greater.
- Valid Transport Canada Seafarer’s Medical, Marine Emergency Duties (minimum A1 or DVS) and a valid Passport.
- Extensive knowledge of factory freezer trawler operations and fishing equipment.
- Take instructions and supervision from the Captain and the First Mate.
- Ensure all members of the deck crew follow safe work practices as defined by Ocean Choice’s policies and procedures; and ability to identify potential hazards associated with deck operations and advise the Captain and First Mate accordingly.
- Supervise and assist in the assembly of the fishing trawl as directed by the Captain; and maintain fishing gear along with other deck equipment (i.e., repair nets, splice ropes, etc.).
- Direct and assist the deck crew with the laying of trawl wires to ensure proper stability of the tow.
- Supervise and assist the deck crew with the general maintenance of the vessel (i.e., painting, chipping, etc.) and cleaning of both the deck and its associated machinery.
- Maintain OCI’s Onboard SMS program and routinely inspect all safety and emergency equipment (i.e., life jackets, inflatable life rafts, flares, EPIRB, emergency flashlights, first-aid kits, AED, life raft emergency packs, hand-held radios, etc.).
- Ensure safety equipment is well-organized, operational and is available for emergency use and re-stocked as necessary; and record safety equipment inspections in appropriate logbooks.
- Coordinate with the First Mate the scheduling and execution of routine emergency drills as required by Ocean Choice, or the governing regulatory body.
- Perform lookout and navigational watches while underway along with safety, anchor and dock watches at other times as directed by the Captain or the First Mate in accordance with standard bridge management procedures.
- Assist with the implementation of safe vessel operations and navigation, the hauling and shooting of fishing gear and any other actions deemed necessary by the Captain.
- Report all incidents and accidents by carrying out the appropriate follow-up investigation, recommendations and preventative actions as directed by Ocean Choice’s policies and procedures.
- Promote a safe, courteous atmosphere and strive to make improvement in a professional manner.
- Direct and assist with the delivery, stocking and storage of groceries and vessel supplies.
- Work trip on, trip off rotation as well as working in port with members of the opposite rotation.
- Perform other duties as required.
An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered. Salary will commensurate with qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is available, including health and pension plans.
Interested candidates should apply, in writing, to [email protected] or mail resumes on or before Friday, January 10, 2020.
Ocean Choice International
Attention: Human Resources
1315 Topsail Road
St. John’s, NL
Ocean Choice is an equal opportunity employer with a competitive compensation and benefits package.