Ocean Choice International (Ocean Choice) is one of Atlantic Canada’s most diversified seafood companies, sustainability producing and marketing a full range of shellfish, groundfish and pelagic species. All of this would not happen without our people working right here at home. At Ocean Choice we’re all about families, connected to each other and our communities.
We are currently accepting applications for dynamic, high performing self-motivated personnel, who are interested in a career in the fishing industry for Deckhand positions on our new state-of-the-art groundfish vessel, Calvert.
The ideal candidate should have the following qualifications:
- Valid Transport Canada Seafarer’s Medical, Marine Emergency Duties (minimum A1 or DVS) and a valid Passport.
- Preference will be given to individuals with a Fishing Master’s Classification or Bridge Watch Certificate.
- Extensive knowledge of factory freezer trawler operations and fishing equipment.
- Take instructions and supervision from the Second Mate and Bosun.
- Under the supervision of the Second Mate assist with the following fishing activities:
- Engage in deploying, retrieving and repairing the fishing trawl; and
- Operate winches to launch, tow, haul, hoist and dump the fishing trawl.
- Help maintain the deck of the vessel (i.e., chipping, painting, buffing, etc.) and its associated equipment.
- Wear, inspect and maintain personal protective equipment.
- Participate in emergency and occupational health and safety onboard training, including self-contained breathing apparatus, fire-fighting and man overboard exercises.
- Operate the deck and deck equipment in a safe manner as defined by Ocean Choice policies and procedures.
- Promote a safe and courteous atmosphere while striving to make improvements in a professional manner.
- Assist with the delivery, stocking and storage of groceries and vessel supplies.
- Work trip on, trip off rotation as well as working in port with members of the opposite rotation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered. Salary will commensurate with qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is available, including health and pension plans.
Interested candidates should apply, in writing, to [email protected] or mail resumes on or before Friday, January 10, 2020.
Ocean Choice International
Attention: Human Resources
1315 Topsail Road
St. John’s, NL
Ocean Choice is an equal opportunity employer with a competitive compensation and benefits package.