Ocean Choice International (Ocean Choice) is one of Atlantic Canada’s most diversified seafood companies, sustainability producing and marketing a full range of shellfish, groundfish and pelagic species. All of this would not happen without our people working right here at home. At Ocean Choice we’re all about families, connected to each other and our communities.
Ocean Choice is currently accepting applications for the position of Captain for our new state-of-the-art groundfish vessel, Calvert.
Applicants with the following qualifications will be considered:
- Minimum Fishing Master’s Class 2.
- Valid Transport Canada Seafarer’s Marine Medical and Marine Emergency Duties Certificate.
- Electronic Chart Display Information System (ECDIS) Certificate.
- In-depth knowledge of handling a Factory Freezer Trawler (i.e., maneuvering, docking, anchoring, etc.) as well as the operation of critical systems (i.e., electronic navigation aids, steering, de-watering, safety apparatus, etc.).
- Extensive experience and knowledge of all activities involved in harvesting groundfish.
- Capable of determining areas for fishing, plotting courses and calculating navigational positions using compasses, charts, tables and other aids.
- Valid Code of Conduct.
- Responsible for all aspects of the operation of the vessel, including the safe navigation of the ship, its cleanliness and seaworthiness, safe handling of all cargo, management of all personnel and inventory of ship’s cash and stores.
- Capable of identifying potential ship hazards associated with all vessel operations.
- Proficient in maintaining records of daily fishing activity, the ship’s positions, weather and sea conditions.
- Ensures the ship complies with local and international laws and abides by company, Transport Canada, Fishery & Oceans and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency policies.
- Monitors communication equipment and keeps logs and records as required by Transport Canada and Det Norske Veritas (DNV).
- Responsible for maintaining the ship’s certificates and documentation.
- Oversees inspection of all safety and emergency equipment such as life jackets, inflatable life rafts, flares, Emergency Positioning Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB), emergency flashlights, first-aid kits, life raft emergency packs, hand-held radios, etc.
- Corresponds with the First Mate to schedule and execute routine emergency drills as required by the company and Transport Canada.
- Conducts administrative duties including, vessel chart inventory, creating and maintaining schedules and employee certification logs.
- Works with the First Mate to ensure fishing gear is ordered, received, accounted for and is properly stored.
- Promotes a safe, courteous atmosphere and strives to make improvements in a professional manner.
- Works a trip on/trip off rotation, as well as working in port with members of the opposite rotation.
An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered. Salary will commensurate with qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is available, including health and pension plans.
Interested candidates should apply, in writing, to [email protected] or mail resumes on or before Friday, January 10, 2020.
Ocean Choice International
1315 Topsail Road
P.O. Box 8190
St. John’s, NL
Ocean Choice is an equal opportunity employer with a competitive compensation and benefits package.