Ocean Choice International (Ocean Choice) is one of Atlantic Canada’s most diversified seafood companies, sustainability producing and marketing a full range of shellfish, groundfish and pelagic species. All of this would not happen without our people working right here at home. At Ocean Choice we’re all about families, connected to each other and our communities.
We are currently accepting applications for dynamic, high performing team leaders with a proven track record in effectively managing deck crew for the Bosun positions on our new state-of-the-art groundfish vessel, Calvert.
The ideal candidate should have the following qualifications:
- Valid Bridge Watch Certificate.
- Valid Transport Canada Seafarer’s Medical, Marine Emergency Duties (minimum A1 or DVS) and a valid Passport.
- Fishing Master’s Class 4 or greater (not mandatory but considered an asset).
- Extensive knowledge of factory freezer trawler operations and fishing equipment.
- Take instructions and supervision from the Captain, First Mate and Second Mate.
- Supervise and provide direction to the deck crew for the deployment, retrieval and repairing of the fishing trawl, including the attachment of floats, weights, and other equipment to fishing trawl as necessary prior to deployment.
- Effectively operate winches to launch, tow, haul, hoist and dump the fishing trawl.
- Participate and direct firefighting activities and ensure other deck crew members are familiar with their responsibilities as it pertains to ship firefighting.
- Maintain the deck integrity of the fishing vessel (i.e., chipping, painting, buffing etc.) and ensure the overall maintenance of the deck, including the regular maintenance of all applicable deck equipment.
- Properly carry out the mooring and anchoring operations of the vessel.
- Wear, inspect and maintain all personal protective equipment.
- Participate in emergency and occupational health and safety onboard training, including self-contained breathing apparatus, fire-fighting and man overboard exercises.
- Familiarity with all company policies and procedures, including Safety Management Systems.
- Ensure members of the deck crew follow safe working practices as defined by company policies and procedures.
- Report all incidents by carrying out the appropriate follow-up investigation, recommendations and preventative actions as defined by Ocean Choice procedures.
- Promote a safe, courteous atmosphere and strive to make improvements in a professional manner.
- Direct and assist with the delivery, stocking, and storage of groceries and vessel supplies.
- Maintain and routinely inspect all safety and emergency equipment (i.e., life jackets, inflatable life rafts, flares, EPIRB, emergency flashlights, first-aid kits, AED, life raft emergency packs, hand-held radios, etc.).
- Coordinate with the Second Mate the scheduling and execution of routine emergency drills as required by Ocean Choice and Transport Canada policies.
- Work trip on, trip off rotation as well as working in port with members of the opposite rotation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered. Salary will commensurate with qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is available, including health and pension plans.
Interested candidates should apply, in writing, to [email protected] or mail resumes on or before Friday, January 10, 2020.
Ocean Choice International
Attention: Human Resources
1315 Topsail Road
St. John’s, NL A1B 3N4
Ocean Choice is an equal opportunity employer with a competitive compensation and benefits package.